The D20 includes hanging lamps and a portable lantern (enough to illuminate three rooms at once), as well as separate wall switches.
Where the product/service is being used
Globally – d.light products are sold in 62 countries.
The Problems it attempts to solve or address
Globally, more than 2 billion people lack access to reliable electricity. d.light’s patented D Series create an accessible, grid-like experience for homes and businesses with unreliable energy access.
The D20 is a larger system than most portable solar solutions on the market in the developing world. The entire D Series was designed to work with a range of payment systems and financing partners—including microfinance institutions and pay-as-you-go technologies—to ensure affordability and accessibility.
- As of Apr 30, 2014, d.light has achieved the following impact for all solar lanterns and power products, including the D20, sold to date:
- 33,148,235 lives empowered
- 8,287,059 school-aged children reached with solar lighting
- $1,084,580,342 saved in energy-related expenses
- 11,664,369,592 productive hours created for working and studying
- 2,546,989 tons of CO2 offset
- 45,974,561 kWh generated from renewable energy source